Hattie is the mom-in-law from heaven. She is also a fabulous cook who makes plant based dishes so delicious you won’t even remember what meat is. So it was fitting that I create a recipe named after her. I give you Queen Mother Hattie’s Hot Quinoa Salad!
1/2 cup of red quinoa
1/3 cup of lentils
1 cup of broccoli
1 cup of chick peas ( pressure cook for 30 mins)
1/2 cup of raw pistachios
1/4 cup of raw walnuts
1/2 large white onion (sliced)
1/2 large red onion (sliced)
1 tsp of dried diced garlic
1 tbsp of black pepper (or to taste)
1 tbsp of sea salt (or to taste)
1 small bunch of red kale (chopped julienne style)
3 tbsp of avocado oil
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
2 sprigs of fresh basil
2 sprigs of savory winter
1 sprig of fresh sage leaves
2 sprigs of thyme
1 sprig of fresh mint
1 sprig of fresh parsley
1 large roma tomato (diced)
1 cup of white mushrooms sliced
Putting it together
- Saute red and white onions and dried garlic with 2 tbsp of avocado oil in large frying pan or wok for 5 mins. Then add mushroom and saute for 5 mins or until mushrooms are tender. Add tomato to the mixture and saute for 2 mins. set aside
- roast pistachios, walnuts and pressure cooked chickpeas on 350 in oven for 15 mins.
- cook lentils in 3 cups of water for 20 mins starting on high heat for 5 mins then continue on medium low heat for 15 mins. Drain and set aside.
- Cook red quinoa in 3 cups of water with a sprig of thyme, black pepper and salt. On medium high heat, cook for about 20-25 mins or until water is gone. fluff with fork and set aside.
- Add 1 tsp avocado oil, cooked lentils, quinoa, sage, rosemary, savory winter, basil, thyme to frying pan or Wok with onions, garlic, tomato and mushroom mixture. Turn on low heat and mix all together. keep on heat for about 10 mins so that herbs are fused into mixture.
- Turn off heat and add broccoli, red kale, roasted chick peas, pistachios, and walnuts.
- serves about 4 people. Enjoy!