If you are a lover of gnocchi pasta, you will certainly love this easy to make casserole. I had to put something together for a last minute pot luck a couple of weeks ago. I wanted something different from the usual casserole dishes and of course I wanted something healthy. So here it is! I hope this recipe will help you out in a pinch like it did for me.
- 1 pack of gnocchi pasta (plain not cheese stuffed) (gluten free gnocchi if you need)
- ½ cup of vegan Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup of chopped fresh basil
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary or dried
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme or dried
- 2 sprigs of fresh oregano or dried
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- ½ cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup of broccoli (florets broken from the stem of ½ broccoli head )
- ½ tsp of scotch bonnet pepper sauce
- 10 roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 ½ large vidalia onion sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic diced
- 1 tsp of fresh ground peppercorn
- 1 tbsp of sea salt
Putting it together
- Making the sauce
- in a medium saucepan add 2 tbsp of olive oil let heat and add onions and garlic. Let saute for 2 minutes and then add sea salt and mushrooms. Let saute until mushrooms are a bit tender.
- Lower the heat and then add about 1 tbsp of the fresh basil 1 sprig of rosemary, 1 sprig of thyme and 1 sprig of oregano. Let simmer for 2 minutes and then add tomatoes, cover the pot and let cook for about 20-25 minutes or until the tomatoes are mashed and a nice sauce like consistency has developed.
- Then add broccoli and cover pot on low heat for 5 minutes. Then turn off stove and stir in the scotch bonnet pepper sauce. Set sauce aside.
2. Preparing the gnocchi pasta
in large pan add 4 quarts of water and pinch of salt. When water comes to a full boil add gnocchi pasta and boil for 8 minutes. Then drain and set aside.
Preparing to bake Casserole
Set oven to 350
Grease casserole dish with olive oil. Add in cooked gnocchi, sauce, some of chopped basil, ½ of the Parmesan cheese and mix everything together and pat down in casserole dish. Sprinkle remainder of basil, rosemary, oregano, thyme ,Parmesan cheese and crushed peppercorn.
When oven is fully heated put in casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes.
Let cool and enjoy with a nice glass of your favorite red wine.