Whenever I have this soup it makes me feel like I’m getting one big continuous hug. Sometimes, feeling sick was not a bad thing because it meant that I would get lots of soup…dumpling soup. 🙂
- 1 cup of unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 carrots-chopped
- 2 ears of corn (yellow corn or sometimes I use multi-coloured corn)-sliced
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 tsp of pimento seeds
- 2 tsp of sea salt
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 wild green onions -chopped
- 1 large yellow onion-sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes-chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic-chopped
- 5 sprigs of fresh cilantro-finely chopped
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp of avocado oil
- 2 tbsp of vegan butter
- 2 vegetable bullion
- 2 medium size yellow potatoes or better… yellow yam-chopped in small cubes
Putting it together:
- In a large mixing bowl put 1 cup of flour and 1 tsp of sea salt. Mix together. then gradually add water until a semi soft dough is formed. knead dough for about 5 minutes.
- Pinch off about 1″ piece of dough and roll between your palms until the dough forms into a skinny log. Repeat this step until all the dough is used. set aside.
- In a medium sized pot bring to a boil 4-5 cups of water. Then add chopped carrots, potatoes or yellow yam, corn slices, and your skinny log dumplings (Jamaicans call them spinnas (spinners))
- While veggies and dumplings are cooking….
- in a medium size saucepan heat avocado oil on medium-high heat. when oil is heated add onion slices, green onions and chopped garlic. Saute for 5 minutes. Add 1 tsp of sea salt, cumin seeds and pimento seeds. Mix together and then add chopped tomatoes and let simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. Then add mixture to the pot with veggies and dumplings/spinnas.
- Add vegetable bullion, thyme and whole scotch bonnet pepper to the pot. Stir pot to blend all ingredients together.
Note: To replace water lost from boiling, you may need to add 1-2 more cups of water to the soup and add 1/2 – 1 more vegetable bullion to maintain the flavour.
- Cover pot and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove pot cover and then remove whole scotch bonnet pepper from pot. Then add chopped cilantro and vegan butter. Stir soup until butter is melted.
- Turn off heat and let soup cool to desired temperature and serve!