Here is a combo of two comfort foods dishes that can help to warm your bones in the upcoming winter season. Irie’s Chilli Lasana is a meatless dish featuring the combination of spicy chili made from four types of beans, veggie patties, fresh herbs, spices and tomatoes layered between lasanga noodles creating a most delicious new addition to the list of comfort food favourites.
1 cup of red kidney beans
1 cup of brown beans
1 cup of pinto beans
1 cup of black beans
2 Morning Star veggie patties (cut up in small pieces) or a veggie patty brand of your liking
1/2 cup of tomato paste
2 large roma tomatoes (cut in cubes)
3 large green onions (chopped)
1 large yellow onion(chopped)
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary leaves (remove from stem)
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 tsp of dried cumin
1 tsp of sea salt
2 sprigs of fresh basil (chopped)
2 sprigs of fresh parsley (chopped)
1 scotch bonnet pepper (chopped) Note: remove the seeds from the pepper or else your mouth with be on fire! If you can take the heat, leave a very small amount of the pepper seeds)
A small bunch of fresh cilantro (chopped)
3 cloves of garlic (sliced)
2 tbsps of coconut amino
4 tbsps of olive oil or avocado oil whichever one you fancy 🙂
1 box of lasagna noodles
1 cube of vegetable bullion
1 cup of bean broth made when beans are pressure cooked
1 tbsp of brown sugar
Vegan sour creme-to taste
1 large cast iron pot
1 large pot for boiling pasta
Putting it together:
- In pressure cooker, cook pinto beans, kidney beans, black beans, brown beans for about 30 minutes or until beans are tender.
- while beans are cooking; in large pot add 2 tbsp of olive oil on medium high heat. Once oil is heated add yellow onion, green onions and garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Reduce stove heat to medium low and add salt to the saute. then add herbs; thyme, rosemary, basil, parsley and scotch bonnet pepper and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add coconut amino, veggie patties and tomatoes to the mixture and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked beans to the pot with herbs and saute onions and garlic. Stir in thoroughly and let simmer.
- Add cumin, brown sugar to mixture. Stir in thoroughly.
- Add vegetable bullion and tomato paste. Stir in thoroughly and then add in broth made from pressure cooking beans. Cover pot to let simmer for 15-20 minutes on low heat.
- While chili mixture is simmering fill large pot with water, a tsp of olive or avocado oil and a pinch of sea salt. Let water come to a roaring boil and then add lasagna noodles. Let noodles cook for 8 minutes or until noodles are al dente.
- set oven to heat at 350 degrees.
- In casserole dish, spread a thin layer of chilli mixture then add a layer of lasagna noodles. Then add chilli mixture. Add a layer of noodle on top. continue to stack layers of chili and noodles until all noodles are used. top with remaining chili mixture.
- sprinkle cilantro on top and put in oven to bake for 20 minutes.
Note: Ensure the oven is heated before putting dish in the oven.
- Let cool and top with vegan sour cream.