Salads have come a long way. I remember back in the days when a salad was just a side dish ; a few slices of tomato and some lettuce leaves set on the side of the plate of the main course meal- at least for West Indian cuisine. North American style back in the days, salad was before the meal (if you wanna get fancy) or on the side of the main meal on the same plate drenched with some creamy heavy salad dressing that only mask the taste of the vegetables and thus renders it not very healthy anymore. Now salads have become the star of the main course and is now a versatile act no longer being just the co-star or the extra. Salads are now a part of our every day meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner.
On that note…I’d like to introduce my salad creation I call the Super Salad. This salad is packed with an array of vegetables along with sprouted mung beans, cranberries, hemp hearts and pecans with some croutons to give it a little extra crunch. This Super Salad not only helps with weight management it also detoxifies the body. How? you may ask. Well here is how:
In order to loose weight and detox/cleanse your body you need to have the following ; 1) balanced intake of protein, 2) balanced intake of fiber, 3) properly hydrated, 4) good energy aka exercise and 5) good sleep.
- High in Protein: Kale, Hemp Hearts, Mung Beans, Broccoli
- High in Fiber: Romaine Lettuce, Bell Peppers, Mung Beans, Hemp Hearts,
- Hydrates: Radish, Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Carrots, Romaine Lettuce
- Energy booting: Pecans, Kale, Hemp Hearts, Mung Beans, Broccoli -pretty much all the ingredients in this salad but the ones listed are the highest. These are loaded with fiber and protein to help you have the energy to exercise and stay active.
- Helps you sleep: Pecans , Kale, Cranberries, Mung Beans, Carrots, Broccoli-these are some of the calcium rich foods that helps you to sleep. Studies have shown that calcium helps the brain to manufacture sleep-triggering melatonin. Additionally, calcium helps regulate muscle movements.
All the above mentioned foods have some form of detoxifying agents but the ones that are best at detoxing the body are, carrots, kale, romaine lettuce, and broccoli as they work as a mild laxative and have the ability to cleanse from the colon to the cellular level. I could go on and on about the other ingredients but I know by now you got the picture.
Well there you have it! Go ahead give this delicious and nutritious Super Salad a try coupled with just 20 minutes of exercise 3-5 days a week, plenty of water and sleep and watch your body and mind transform into a fitter and more relaxed you. 🙂
- 1/2 of red onion finely chopped
- 2 stalks of kale chopped julienne style
- 3 stalks of romaine lettuce chopped julienne style
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 bunch of broccoli
- 1 cup of sprouted mung beans
- 1/4 cup of chopped pecans
- 3 radish bulbs sliced
- 2 medium carrots chopped julienne style
- a handful of dried cranberries
- 4 teaspoons of hemp hearts
- handful of croutons
Putting it together:
- Put all the ingredients together in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add your favorite vinaigrette salad dressing and enjoy!
* Serves 4